At CROE we know that a home can take many forms including; a townhouse, an apartment, a bungalow, cottage, detached house, end of terrace, semi-detached or terraced. Each has its own people, climate, context, environment, family, culture and community. By connecting this whole ecology holistically, all these elements unite to form a unique place for your life to unfold into.

Whether you are looking to add space and value to your home, discover the latest ideas for extensions, expert advice or design ideas we can guide you no matter what your budget is.



Extending your family home is immensely rewarding and can make a huge difference to your way of life.

Most new buildings or major changes to existing buildings will require consent from the local planning authority (known as planning permission). Minor alterations and extensions to a home may comply with permitted development regulations and planning permission may not be required.

Works to listed buildings, and buildings within conservation and green belt designated areas require greater care and attention. CROE Architects has the experience to offer practicable advice for projects of this nature, to obtain the required Planning and/ or Listed consent required for these works.



Frequently Asked Questions

How long does planning permission take to obtain?

A planning application can usually take up to two weeks to become registered and a further eight weeks to be determined.

Can planning permission be conditionally approved?

The grant of planning permission will always be conditional. Usually the conditions are standard clauses such as the development must be commenced within three years. Site specific conditions can be imposed and we are usually able to release this condition/s ourselves, or with the aid of a third party only if essential.

What can I do if planning permission is refused?

When planning permission is refused the local authority will provide details of why it has not been granted. The scheme can be amended and re-submitted and/or the decision can be appealed by an application to the Planning Inspectorate.

If the scheme is of a similar nature, the council offer a ‘free go’ within one year where they do not charge a new application fee.

What is a Lawful Development Certificate?

A Lawful Development Certificate is a legal document stating the lawfulness of past, present or future development. If granted by the local planning authority, the certificate means that enforcement action cannot be carried out to the development referred to in the certificate. It is similar in receiving planning permission for a proposal.

I comply with Lawful Development legislation. Why should I apply for a certificate?

 A certificate is useful to ensure that the legislation has been interpreted correctly. It is also useful when you come to sell your house.

What is the difference between Planning Permission and Building Regulations?

In simple terms, planning permission focuses on how the finished building will look and the impact it will have on others in the existing environment. Building regulations on the other hand are concerned with the structure of the building and ensure that it is built well.

Do I need to comply with Building Regulations?

The majority of buildings and extensions have to comply with the Approved Documents. There are some exclusions such as some conservatories, garages and outbuildings.

How do I comply with Building Regulations?

An application can be made to either the local authority or a private firm of approved inspectors. Both charge a fee for their services. CROE Architects will produce the necessary drawings which in most cases is enough to satisfy the building regulations. Where third party information is required, we are able to provide quotations for your consideration.

CROE Architects patio.jpg

What is the difference between a Building Regulations Full-Plans Application and a Building Notice?

Full Plans Application – Construction details and third party reports only where essential are submitted. The plans will be checked and revisions undertaken if necessary. The plans then become approved by the local authority.

Building Notice – A form is submitted to the Local Authority and you may start work forty-eight hours later. No plans are necessary. This is a riskier route as you do not have approved plans. However, for small projects and ones that are on a budget a building notice is a sufficient route to take. Building control can ask for additional information during the building process.

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Act came into force on 1 July 1997 and applies throughout England and Wales. It provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighboring buildings.

Anyone intending to carry out work of the kinds described in the Act must give Adjoining Owners notice of their intentions.